Each year, Recovery Month creates a toolkit to help individuals and organizations increase awareness of the power of recovery. The kit provides tips and resources for planning Recovery Month events and distributing information in communities across the nation.
The toolkit contains the following sections:
- Media Outreach (PDF | 6.4 MB) – provides instructions to plan and promote Recovery Month activities and events, as well as templates to customize and send to local and online media outlets. A version is available in Spanish (PDF | 276 KB) with information that is not specific to a particular year.
- Join the Voices for Recovery (PDF | 1.4 MB) – highlights the importance of families, communities, and individuals sharing stories of recovery to encourage others to make a personal connection with the recovery movement.
- Military, Veterans, and Military Families (PDF | 955 KB) – provides specific information about mental and/or substance use disorders in the military culture, and offers resources in support of veterans’ recovery and military families.
- LGBT Community (PDF | 4.6 MB) – highlights the prevalence of mental and/or substance use disorders in the LGBT community, while addressing the specific needs of LGBT adults and youth in recovery.
- Trauma Survivors (PDF | 1.9 MB) – provides trauma survivors and loved ones with resources about finding support to help further cope with a traumatic event.
- Families in Recovery (PDF | 1.3 MB) – highlights the importance of an individual focusing on their well-being to better support a loved one in recovery from a mental and/or substance use disorder.
- Common Mental Disorders and Misused Substances (PDF | 2.1 MB) – provides specific information about some of the most common mental disorders and misused substances.
- Treatment and Recovery Support Services (PDF | 1.2 MB) – provides links to organizations that provide information and resources about prevention, treatment, and recovery support services that are available to people facing mental and/or substance use disorders.
- Mental and/or Substance Use Disorders: Fast Facts (PDF | 2.9 MB) – provides a list of relevant facts highlighting that behavioral health is essential to health, prevention works, treatment is effective, and people recover from mental and/or substance use disorders.
- Data Visualization (PDF | 1.1 MB) – includes infographics about behavioral health and substance use disorders, prevention, and treatment and recovery.