Today’s society is plagued with substance abuse - babies are born addicted, teenagers are getting high on over-the-counter products and adults are abusing prescriptions drugs and alcohol more now than ever before. This conference will provide an in-depth look at these addictions; the affect addiction has on families and the various treatment options available. Long-term recovery, relapse prevention, motivational interviewing in criminal justice populations, medical marijuana, as well as a plenary on the heroin epidemic in Harford County and the State of Maryland will be addressed.
1. Identify and examine current substance abuse trends and their effect on society, locally and nationally.
2. Discuss recovery activities used to aid the brain's recovery from substance abuse.
3. Discuss the history of cannabis use and the dangers related to recreational use and its addiction.
4. Explore the use of motivational interviewing strategies for those diagnosed with substance use-disorders and/or those sentenced with substance use-related offenses.
5. Explain the principles of informed (or shared) medical decision making, and how this applies to pharmaceutical management of symptoms. Target Audience: Psychologists, Nurses, Social Workers, Addiction Counselors, Certified Counselors, Occupational Therapists, Health Education Specialists, and Physicians.
Type of Event:
Conference (including substance use and/or mental disorders, treatment, recovery or related issues as a focus)